Sharks that can be found at Aliwal Shoal
Aliwal Shoal is a scuba divers paradise. Situated 1 hour South of Durban King Shaka International Airport, this short journey brings you to one of the top 10 dive sites in the world. The reef is 7kms from Umkomaas river mouth and is accessed by semi rigid inflatable boats which launch from the river mouth or the beach. Local skippers will guide you through the often difficult surf to this divers paradise in the Indian Ocean.
Firstly if you don't like Sharks or don't want to see Sharks at Aliwal Shoal don't panic! The Shark diving is actually done away from the reef under controlled conditions.
On the journey to Aliwal Shoal you will often see Dolphins, Whales, Turtles.
On the Shark Dives expect to see.....
- Tiger Sharks up to 5.5mtrs
- Blacktip Reef sharks up to 2.5 mtrs (Lots of them!)
- Ragged Tooth Shark (Nurse Shark) up to 3.5mtrs
- Whitetip Reef Shark up to 1.8 mtrs
- Bull Shark (Zambezi Shark) up to 3.2 mtrs
- Hammerhead Shark These tend not to get too big!
- Whale Shark These are the gentle giants of over 8 metres
- Dusky Sharks These come in occasionally and large ones may appear during the Sardine Run
- Great Whites...Yes even the big boss pops in for a look sometimes, usually a quick glimpse and then off he goes. Have a look on www.ocearch.com
Map of Aliwal Shoal Aliwal Shoal diving map.jpg